What an amazing time for Koala Clancy Foundation!
A lot has been achieved in the year following our official launch in May 2016
- We are now a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission and planning to apply for Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status ASAP.
- We have had about 400 local volunteers at Koala Conservation Days and are holding these on the first and third Sunday of each month. These days are valuable for learning about wild koalas, weeding to improve habitat as well as preparing and planting new habitat.
- Special group and student Koala Conservation Days have also been held, as well as some Corporate groups.
- We celebrated the second national Wild Koala Day on 3 May 2017 – joining with other koala conservation groups in eastern states to advocate for wild koalas and their future. We promoted Plant a Tree, Protect a Forest and Phone a Politician. There is now a new National Wild Koala Day website.
- Avalon Airport was Koala Airport from 28 April to 7 May with Avalon Airport working with KCF to promote wild koalas in this region.
- With support of local businesses, a Special Competition was held as part of Wild Koala Day, giving winners from interstate the opportunity to visit the region and particularly the koalas.
- More than 2400 “Koala Clancy in the You Yangs” childrens books by Melinda King have been provided to cruise guests on Echidna Walkabout tours in the first year - an initiative recognised and shortlisted for a global innovation award. Hundreds of books have also been sold with tour bookings and directly through KCF.
- Donations to KCF are now mostly coming directly to KCF through the website. Some tour guests also donate.
- Donations from 100s of online retailers when you join Shopnate and KCF has now been set up to help fundraising - and it is easy and costs you nothing!
- Our unique Redbubble clothing and products also help promote and raise funds for KCF.
- Trees were planted on private land near the You Yangs so wild koalas will not be isolated and can spread out around the region.
- More than 2000 seeds were purchased by KCF, last year and raised and nurtured and planted by members and volunteers. New seeds are about to be planted for the coming year.
- More than 10,000 boneseed weeds have been removed from the You Yangs.
- We have hosted educational programs for schools, universities and community groups.
- School children of all ages have been involved in presentations and activities
- Koala Clancy’s Facebook page has been busy providing much information and images – and he now has more than 36,000 likes around the world. His posts are being shared far and wide and aiding the understanding of wild koalas.
We were delighted when Tourism Australia posted our active wild koala video on their Facebook page on Wild Koala Day 2017 and it had 1.1 million views, 51,000 plus likes, etc and nearly 15,000 shares around the world.
We are looking forward to another exciting year and we want YOU as active financial members, to be part of it with us.