What an amazing time for Koala Clancy Foundation!
A lot has been achieved following our official launch back in May 2016
- We are now a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission and planning to apply for Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status ASAP.
- We have had hundreds of local volunteers at Koala Conservation Days and are holding these on the first and third Sunday of each month. These days are valuable for learning about wild koalas, weeding to improve habitat as well as preparing and planting new habitat.
- Special group and student Koala Conservation Days have also been held, as well as some Corporate groups.
- We now celebrate national Wild Koala Day on 3 May each year – joining with other koala conservation groups in eastern states to advocate for wild koalas and their future. We promoted Plant a Tree, Protect a Forest and Phone a Politician. There is now a new National Wild Koala Day website and Facebook page.
- Avalon Airport was Koala Airport from 28 April to 7 May 2017 with Avalon Airport working with KCF to promote wild koalas in this region.
- With support of local businesses, a Special Competition was held in 2017 as part of Wild Koala Day, giving winners from interstate the opportunity to visit the region and particularly the koalas.
- More than 2400 “Koala Clancy in the You Yangs” childrens books by Melinda King have been provided to cruise guests on Echidna Walkabout tours in the first two years - an initiative recognised and shortlisted for a global innovation award. Hundreds of books have also been sold with tour bookings and directly through KCF.
- Donations to KCF are now mostly coming directly to KCF through the website. Some tour guests also donate.
- Donations from 100s of online retailers when you join Shopnate and KCF has now been set up to help fundraising - and it is easy and costs you nothing!
- Our unique Redbubble clothing and products also help promote and raise funds for KCF.
- Trees were planted on private land near the You Yangs during 2017 and more happening in 2018 so wild koalas will not be isolated and can spread out around the region.
- More than 4000 seeds so far have been purchased by KCF and raised and nurtured for planting by members and volunteers.
- More than 10,000 boneseed weeds have been removed from the You Yangs in the first year or so and this work is ongoing.
- We have hosted educational programs for schools, universities and community groups.
- School children of all ages have been involved in presentations and activities
- Koala Clancy’s Facebook page has been busy providing much information and images – and he now has about 50,000 likes around the world. His posts are being shared far and wide and aiding the understanding and education about wild koalas.
We were delighted when Tourism Australia posted our active wild koala video on their Facebook page on Wild Koala Day 2017 and it had 1.1 million views, 51,000 plus likes, etc and nearly 15,000 shares around the world.
We are looking forward to another exciting year and we want YOU as active financial members, to be part of it with us.